Tuesday, February 7, 2012

1 week post surgery



Today marks one week since Jack's surgery. I can't believe time seems to have gone by quickly!  Jack has continued to do well, he has found his own ways of scooting around on his bottom and he is getting a little daring, starting to kneel. I have caught him a few times attempting to 'stand' and have to encourage him to sit down.  He continues to sleep well, and is relatively pain free!  Sunday night, James and I were watching the Super bowl when I noticed Jack was actively scratching at his bandaged leg.  He has been complaining over the last week that his leg is "itchy" and so I just thought it was hot, or his leg was probably healing.  All of a sudden, as he was sitting on my lap, the whole bandage came off!  Needless to say, I was not ready to see his stump in such uncontrolled circumstances (it was supposed to be in the doctors office a week from now, when they could change the dressing..) I yelled "Oh, MY"  and then jack got scared and started crying.  Part of me knew what it might look like, but part of me didn't.  I was so used to seeing his foot there - it was a drastic change.  I tried to put my 'calm nurse face' on but his hysteria and my mommy sensitivity side kicked in... and we all started crying! I noticed his entire leg was covered in a rash.  No wonder he'd been 'itchy' - poor Jack.   James- the only calm one- called the surgeon on call that night ( i am sure they enjoyed getting a phone call in the middle of the Super Bowl...).  The surgeon concluded Jack probably had an allergic reaction to the hibiclens (special anti-microbial cleaner) they used during surgery.  He suggested cleaning the entire leg with soapy water, applying hydrocortizone, then re-dressing it with clean gauze and ace-wrap and giving him a dose of benadryl.   Needless to say, we had no supplies in the house so off James went to walgreens to get all the stuff, while I calmed myself, then Jack.  We were successful in re-applying the dressing and off to bed Jack went. Phew that's done! - so I thought... 5:30am came and Jack started crying.  I walked into his room only to find him waving his stump in the air saying "shoe came off! shoe came off!" (Jack seems to think his bandage is a permanent shoe...)   Ugh! I suppose I didn't wrap the ace wrap tight enough.  So we started our morning early with a new bandage and very tired mommy! 


Jack's been keeping busy with some new books and new cars.  I can tell that the next few weeks will be long for him (and for me) as we count down the days until he gets fitted for his new leg and can walk again!  We continue to go on our daily walks to get some fresh air, change the scenery and give me some sanity!

Here's some pictures from surgery day and over the past week...
Day of surgery - 6:00am waiting to get checked in...
Recovery room, not yet awake...

Resting comfortably in recovery room... holding our monkey (they took monkey back for "surgery" too...;)
Add caption

Play room at the hospital...  
1st official outing - walking the bridge!! It was a beautiful day 75 degrees!



Mommy got a little ambitious and let Jack swing for a few minutes...


Some of our new books!!!

2 comments:

  1. He looks like he's doing GREAT! I can't believe his bandage came off twice! Eek! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I think you all are doing great. Hang in there, the time will go fast until the new fitting time. Thinking of you, Jack and James.

    ReplyDelete