Friday, December 9, 2011

Closure in our decision

As we near this Christmas season, I am reminded of the lyrics of one of my favorite Christmas songs 'Breath of Heaven' : It has become my prayer these past few months as we have endured some difficult times. 

I am waiting in silent prayer
I am frightened by the load I bear
In a world cold as stone
must I walk this path alone?
Be with me now
Be with me now...

Breath of heaven
hold me together
be forever near me
Breath of heaven

How wonderful it is that we have a sovereign God who walks along side us day by day, hour by hour.  I am so thankful!

Today, we meet with our orthopedic surgeon.  After much research, dr's opinions and discussion, we have made the decision to amputate.  This, as most of you know, has been a tremendously difficult journey for us, however based on the information we have today and Jack's specific condition - we feel it is the very best decision.  We are SO very thankful for all that have gone before us (whom have had both amputation and limb-lengthening) to give us inspiration and hope for Jack that no matter what - he will live a FULL life.   Surgery will take place January 31 (as long as jack is well - not even a sniffle or cough!).  For those of you wondering  - he will essentially only have his foot amputated.  They will save his heel - as this is such specific tissue used for weight bearing.  Therefore he will be able to better 'stand' or support himself when he is not wearing his prosthetic.  Otherwise he will wear a prosthesis. Since he has about a 20% length discrepancy from the other leg, the prosthetic will be made to correct this difference.    He will be in a cast after surgery for about 6 weeks (as I understand) to allow for heeling.  Then he will be fitted for his 1st prosthesis shortly after. 

We continue to need support and prayer, but have a tremendous sense of closure and peace in our decision.

Here are some pictures of Thanksgiving,  Grandma, Grandpa and Uncle Shaun's visit to Charleston this past Month!
(i hope to upload some pictures/video from my phone when i can figure it out...)






3 comments:

  1. Melissa...I'm right there with you. It is a hard decision, but I'm glad you guys have felt peace knowing what you're doing is right. We felt the same way once we finally knew for sure what we were going to do, but it's still not easy. Our little boy's surgery is Jan. 11th, so we will be going through all the same stuff right around the same time. I'll be thinking about Jack and your family. I don't know if you have already, but feel free to check out our blog: http://dylanslegjourney.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! Our little girl has a 27% discrepancy and we also decided to amputate. She will have her surgery in March, a little bit after you and Katie (above). It feels good to get some closure, and as time goes on amputation seems less and less "scary" to us. May God grant you peace and assurance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have blessed holidays, Melissa, both Christmas and New Year! Will be praying for everything in Jan. You little guy is precious! ;)

    ReplyDelete